Monday, May 5, 2014

Home to the World's Smallest Walmart!

This week has been good! A little slow in the beginning, but it turned out alright. I think it will be best explained on a day-by-day basis:

On Monday we went to a Home Evening for the mid-single adults in the Branch. Not a whole lot of people showed up to that. But it was good! We studied out of chapter seven of Jesus the Christ, by Elder James E. Talmage. I love that book! I've been reading it since my first transfer, and I always love the things I learn from it. There's a lot of foreign (to me) words in it, but my Spanish background usually gives me the Latin base to figure them out. It's fun when I can figure out words that way!

On Tuesday we gave service to a lady in the Branch, Sister Gomez. She is redoing, or doing, the landscaping in her front yard. We were digging up weeds most of the time, but that's fine by me, because I love digging! Elder Sofele started getting light-headed, and his heart was beating pretty fast, so Sister Gomez made him sit down. His body is still adjusting to the altitude. He is from LA, elevation ~0 ft, and his first area is Gunnison, elevation ~7,700 ft! So after service Sister Gomez told him to drink water and take a nap. We figured it would be better for him to take a nap than to have to go to the hospital, so he took a nap.

On Wednesday, Elder Sofele wasn't feeling great after we had personal study, so he went and laid down. He slept all day. He got up to go to institute at 7:00 (where we also had dinner), and then the day was basically over. I read quite a bit from Jesus the Christ that day!

On Thursday, Elder Sofele was feeling much better. So we went and gave service with the sisters at the food pantry! We helped them weigh and sort and stack food. The food is donated by grocery stores, and is given for free to those in need. I like serving there!

Friday was our rock-star day! First, we went to Matt's apartment. Matt is a guy we had met the day before outside his apartment, but we didn't teach him anything. So we went back, because he seemed nice, and talked to him about the gospel. We talked outside his front door. He had a few questions regarding faith and religion in general. We bore our testimonies. We told him we would love to come back sometime and share more of our message with him. He said, "I've got time right now." Cool! So he let us in and we shared the first half of the first lesson with him. He was very receptive, and accepted a return appointment for Monday!

Later that day we taught Gloria. We had also met her the day before, standing outside by her car. We taught her about the Restoration, and she agreed to pray about the Book of Mormon, and accepted a return appointment!

On Saturday we had the chance to go to Montrose and witness the baptism of a family in the Mt. Sneffels ward. It was really spiritual, and I'm glad we got to attend.

Yesterday at church we met one of the ward missionaries for the first time, Brother Hayden. He served his mission in Phoenix! Brother Guadian, the Elder's Quorum President, also served his mission there! Both were Spanish-speaking. We talked about how there were only two missions in Arizona when Brother Guadian served, and now there's what? six? eight? And when we moved to Mesa there was only one temple in the state, and now there's six functioning or under construction! It's great to notice how the Church is spreading and growing.

Today we're going to play some kickball with the zone! I like kickball, always have. I'm also hoping we can go get Chinese for lunch... Anyhow, Feliz Cinco de Mayo!! Tengan un buenismo dia! That also reminds me, we tracted into a Spanish family and gave the referral to the Sisters. Elder Sofele was mesmerized by my Spanish, which was pretty basic, but it's always funny for me!

Choose the right, share the gospel, and be excellent to each other. I love you!

Sincerely,

Elder Rogers

A Thought from Mom:

The Lord inspired Lehi to declare the fundamental truth, “Men are, that they might have joy.” The Lord’s intent is that each of us finds joy. It will not be conditional for you as you obey the commandments, have faith in the Master, and do the things that are necessary to have joy here on earth.”

~Richard G. Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment