Monday, January 27, 2014

Butterfingers gets a grip!



January 27, 2014

Salaam!

First thing's first: transfer news! The zone leaders called on Saturday night to give us the news that we are both being transferred to the Grand Junction 7th Ward! That's the ward we're in now; they were just trying to be funny. So Elder Bartlett and I are both staying here for another transfer! This is the first time I've ever had a companion for more than one transfer. We've got a lot going on in the area, including two or three baptisms this transfer, so we're both glad we get to see those through!

We're getting an additional sister in the ward, so there will be a tripanionship. One of the Spanish sisters is leaving, and an English sister is being brought in to learn Spanish. Other than that, no changes in the district!

Last p-day we went to a restaurant called Dos Hombres. They have a challenge there: eat one 2.5 pound burrito covered in ghost pepper chili in 30 minutes or less. Naturally, I had to try it.

Before the Burn! (See how happy I look!)
I didn't succeed. The ghost pepper is the hottest pepper in the world, as you well know. They let you drink water, but that doesn't help too much. But because it does help a little, I ended up drinking about five glasses of water by the time I got through the first pound and a half or burrito, which filled me up. So in the end, it was the spiciness and the quantity that got to me.
See how fast my hand is moving?! (Also, notice the red in my face?!) Man--this is HOT!!!
Oh well! We're going there again today, but I'm going to try and enjoy my lunch this time.

Yesterday was Chuck's scheduled baptism date, but we decided to postpone it for a little bit. We want to make sure he's fully prepared, and we feel confident that he will be. So we've rescheduled it for February 15th! He said he met a guy at work who also used to be a baptist, and who is also learning from the missionaries! That's awesome, because he works in the oil industry, where the people are really rough. He'd been having a really hard time there, but this should hopefully help out. He told us about one time when his co-workers were using really foul language and he made a comment about it. They got defensive and asked if he was religious. He said, "Yeah, I'm a convert!" They asked him what he was a convert to and he said, "I'm a Mormon!" Of course they mocked him, but he is proud of his faith and the things he's learning. We're really happy for him. He and his wife have talked about serving a mission when they get older! He talked to the bishop about serving a mission now, but of course he can't be a full-time missionary while he's married with young kids. But we'll teach him how he can be a member missionary!

We're still waiting on getting permission from Noah's mom for him to be baptized. I think I've talked about him before... But hopefully she'll come around and he can enter in by the gate! We teach him several times a week, and we're almost to the point of having to restart the lessons! It wouldn't be a bad thing, though, because he's taking a little time to absorb it all. He's pretty funny. We've been teaching him about the commandments recently, and principles from modern prophets that go along with them. He always commits to live the commandments, but one time he said, "Great! Now I can't date 'til I'm sixteen, I can't do stuff on Sunday, and I can't have coffee or tea!" But I think he understands the principles behind the commandments, and he's okay with living them.

We're going to have a good transfer. Keep choosing the right! You are choosing the right, aren't you? I hope so! I love you all!

Sincerely,
Elder Rogers

P.S. I don't know how I managed to get 41 ties. I actually have 40 now, because I gave one to Noah. I've probably bought eight or nine at thrift stores, and I got seven or eight for Christmas and my birthday... They just sort of come to me one way or another...

A Thought from Mom:
 
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment