Monday, December 30, 2013

One Year Older and Wiser Too...

Happy Birthday to me!!
It was awesome to talk to you all on Christmas! It made my day!

This week had been a great one! One thing that really stands out in my mind is when we contacted a referral. The Sisters in the ward had tracted into a 19-year-old guy named Bryce, who said they could come back. I probably would have too, because... Well, if I were in Bryce's shoes I would have invited the two blonde 19-year-old girls back, too. But anyway! The Sisters gave him to us as a referral because they can't teach him on their own. So, we went and knocked on his door, and he invited us in and asked to hear our message. He basically wanted to know more about our beliefs so he was more informed and "sympathetic," as he put it. We shared the message of the Restoration and the Spirit was strong. He said that the message made sense. We gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and invited him to read and pray. He said he would. We will eventually hand him off to the Singles' Ward missionaries, because he will be much better fellow-shipped there. But that was a great experience!

This week we also started over teaching the lessons to a 12-year-old investigator, Noah. He lives with his grandmother, who is a member of our ward. We taught him twice this week, and took the lessons slow, because he has a hard time paying attention and retaining information. Before we started the lessons, we set him on date to be baptized on January 11th. IT was all looking good, but unfortunately his mother denied permission for him to be baptized. So we're kind of at an impasse. Hopefully his mother's heart will be softened soon, and Noah will be able to continue to progress back to his Heavenly Father. He was very disappointed about the whole situation.
But not to worry! God has commanded us to be baptized, and I know that "the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (1 Ne. 3:7)
In other news, I'm really enjoying my new area! It took a lot of adjusting at first, but I'm comfortable in the area now. Of course I don't know all of the ward members or where our appointments are yet, but I'm getting there. Grand Junction has 60,000 people. I know that's not a very small town, but I realized why it seems so small. I have lived my whole life in the Phoenix-metro area, population 5-6 million. I've spent the last six months in the Denver-metro area, population 2-3 million (I think). So, going from nineteen years of that to a city of 60,000 is a pretty big change! Plus there's a lot of trailer parks and such in my area. But the point is, I'm adjusting to it well!
This week brings us into a new year! That's exciting. I always love New Year's. It'll be weird writing 2014 in my journal and on all of the records we keep, but that happens at the beginning of every year. I"m looking forward to making 2014 the best year of my life (so far)! I invite you all to do the same. It will happen as you take steps to bring yourself, your family, and others closer to the Savior Jesus Christ. Make it a goal!
Have a great week, and an excellent year! I love you all, and you are in my prayers!
Sincerely,
Elder Rogers

A Thought from Mom:

"Be of good courage. The Lord will strengthen thy heart." ~ Jeffrey R. Holland



No comments:

Post a Comment