Monday, October 6, 2014

Aqui Vamos Otra Vez!

Well howdy and hey, everyone!
What a nifty week this has been! We had a great day of preparing on Monday, followed by a deliciously scenic drive through the mountains on Tuesday on the way to MLCs! The aspens have turned a bright yellow for autumn, and the evergreens are as green as ever. That was great! The following morning we had the privilege of attending the temple, which I always love.

I love the Temple!
Boy, was Conference inspiring! I don't know if I've told you or not, but I'm a huge fan of General Conference. Ashleigh and Shay went with another member of the ward to Salt Lake City, and they got to attend both Sunday sessions! Lucky... Some day I'm sure I'll go! The talk by Elder Robbins in the first session was tailored to our mission! We had received instruction the Tuesday prior from President Murdock about which way we face. I'm looking forward to reading that talk. And of course the message that stood out to me was the importance of sustaining the leaders of the church, not just by raising our hand, but by respecting and living their counsel. I could go into a ton of other things I enjoyed from Conference, but I won't! Just know that I loved it!

This week is transfer week! Tomorrow I am being transferred. President Murdock called and released me as a zone leader, called me to be a district leader, and assigned me to serve in a Spanish area with a fairly new missionary. Whaaaat?? It's going to be one roller coaster of a transfer! But oh boy, how roller coasters are fun! He also told be that I'll be serving on the other side of the world, so after the initial thought that Spain was the only Spanish-speaking possibility on the opposite side of the globe, I reasoned that he was probably speaking figuratively. So I'll most likely be going back up into or over the mountains. He told me my new companion has been out for 12 weeks. Elder Mecham scavenged his brain and determined that there is a Spanish missionary who has been out for twelve weeks in the following areas out west: Carbondale/Aspen, Montrose (San Juan) Grand Junction (Mt. Garfield), Rifle and Vail. So, basically anywhere but Frisco/Breckenridge. That probably sounds like a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo, but suffice it to say we have no clue where I'm going. Because even if President had been speaking sarcastically, there's an Elder in the Spanish ward in Denver who's been out 12 weeks. So, we'll just have to wait and see!
Elders!
We had a great lesson on Sunday. Last week, we tracted into a man in his 50s named James. He told us how he had family who were members of the Church, and he would be interested in learning more. Our initial return appointment fell through, but we were finally able to meet with him on Sunday between sessions of Conference. We talked about the importance of knowing that the Book of Mormon is true. We shared our testimonies with him that it truly is the word of God and that the Lord revealed it as convincing evidence of the Restoration through the prophet Joseph Smith. He appreciated our testimonies. We then explained the importance of restored priesthood authority and the ordinances available because of it. We invited him to be baptized when he came to gain his own testimony of these things. He said he would. We then invited him to work towards November 22nd as a day to enter into the covenant of baptism. He accepted that invitation as well! We explained that he would face challenges along the way, and that there would be things he would have to change in his life to be able to realize the blessings of gospel covenants, and he said he understood. A lot has been changing in his life recently, and for him, he said, change is a good thing. What a good lesson! We then had the blessing of being able to call up the Conerstone Park sisters and explain to them that we had a referral for them. One who was already keeping his commitment to read from the Book of Mormon, who had a desire to learn of its truthfulness for himself, who was willing to make changes to qualify for the Lord's blessings, and who had a baptismal date for the next month! That was a fun referral to give. We set up a church tour with James and the sisters, as well as a member from their ward, so that we can have the opportunity of handing him over into the care of the family ward. A good experience, all around!

I know that this Church is the Lord's true and living Church on the earth today. Thomas S. Monson is called of and inspired by God to lead His Church. The Book of Mormon is so true! Most importantly, I have a testimony that Jesus Christ lives, and that He is the Son of God. He is our Savior, and He is Father to all those who believe on the words of His servants, the prophets. How blessed I am to know these things. Seek your own testimonies, and strengthen them. Learn from others, reading and rereading the inspired words of General Conference. Read the scriptures. And live the doctrine! There is nothing better to do in this life! I love you all, and hope you will continue to seek and cherish truth.

Sincerely,
Elder Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment