Monday, June 2, 2014

Sew...

Hello!
This has been a caRAAAZY week! But transfer weeks always are. We have been having the huge problem that our investigators are never home, so we haven't had a ton of progress with most of them. One investigator we did get to see this week is Luis! A member just moved into the Branch who served his mission in the Dominican Republic about 5 years ago. We had him set  up to come to see Luis with us, but his family came into town unannounced and he had to cancel. So we went to see Luis without a member. It was awesome! We (I) taught the Plan of Salvation with the map I made back in Littleton. Luis seemed to understand everything well, but he had a slightly concerning lack of questions. I invited him to be baptized and he said he wants to study more.

There's a girl in the Branch who's leaving on her mission to Texas this month, and she's learning Spanish. Her call isn't Spanish, but she knows it will help to know Spanish on her mission. I think that's pretty much true of anywhere in the U.S.! I told her about how much easier it is to speak another language as a missionary; that I've found I'm able to speak way better than a should be able to, and it's because the Lord blesses us with what we need to share the gospel!

So at the end of the week all of the calls from President and the APs come. We already knew we were staying, so there was no stress about it. Then, on Friday, President Murdock called the Gunnison Sisters and asked Sister Smith (the new one) how her Spanish was coming along... He said they had some "ideas" they were working on! So the Sisters, who were also sure they were both staying, started flipping out. It was kind of funny to see, but of course we had to wonder if things were going to change with me and Elder Sofele. Elder Nielsen, our Zone Leader, got a call on Friday (leadership call day) that he was being released as Zone Leader, and being called as a District Leader and follow-up trainer. That's what I'm supposed to be doing next transfer... So things started smelling fishy.

Saturday night the APs call if someone's being transferred, and the Zone Leaders call if both companions are staying. We got a text from the Naturita Elders that they were all (3) staying. That means the Zone Leaders had called them. So we waited for them to call us. And they didn't. The Sisters told us that Sister Stoeltzing will be leaving. Then we got a call from an unknown number, and I knew it had to be the APs. I answered, and they told us that Elder Sofele will be staying in Gunnison, and I will be leaving. Whaaaaaaaaaat?? So I had most of my stuff packed that night. I couldn't sleep, wondering, Where am I going? Will it be a Spanish area? Who will my companion be? Do they want me to be a District Leader there? They didn't tell me the first time I was transferred, but they kept me in as District Leader... Will I be on the Western Slope? Elder Sofele is snoring really loud... What if I go to Denver? I wasn't expecting to be transferred. I've never been in an area for such a short time.

So I got out of bed and drew some pictures. Then I went back to bed and fell asleep. In the morning, when I got out of the shower, Elder Sofele said, "President called. He said to call him back." Ooooookaaaaayy?... So I did. He said, "The Assistants called and told you you're being transferred, right?" Yes. "We're sorry to take you away from Elder Sofele, because he's such a great Elder. But we'd like to call you to be a Zone Leader. Will you accept that calling?" Yes, of course. "Alright. I'll see you then on... June 11th; that's when we'll have our mission leadership council-- Oh wait, I'll see you before that, you're coming to this side!"

And so the conversation continued. So, Whaaaaaaaaaat?? again. It just goes to show that you really never know what is going to happen with transfers. Even after calls should have been made, and everything! So, to sum up the situation, I am going to Denver to be a Zone Leader. Well! That's probably (definitely) the most interesting thing that happened this week! I'm here emailing in Montrose now, and all of my bags are in the car. Gunnison is behind me, and there's a lot still ahead of me!

Now you know the situation! I hope you had an awesome week and a stellar time in Mexico! I love you all and wish you the best. Enjoy the heat! I will too. Not quite like Mesa, but we get in the 90s in Denver. Choose the right!

Sincerely,
Elder Rogers



A Thought from Mom:

“In your morning prayer each new day, ask Heavenly Father to guide you to recognize an opportunity to serve one of His precious children. Then go throughout the day looking for someone to help.” 
 ~M. Russell Ballard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment